Our Big Opportunity
The opportunity gap prevents many students from testing their curiosity and discovering their potential during the critical out-of-school time hours in a safe, supportive and engaging environment.
Our Big Thought
We make imagination central to after-school and summer learning programs, creating periods of enrichment that are stimulating yet rigorous.
Our Innovative Approach
We strategically connect partners and resources across the city to address the specific educational needs of students and families. No two programs are alike because they are tailored to the communities in which we serve.
Thriving Minds After-School
- Between 2011-2015, Big Thought has served 39 sites, enrolled more than 21,500 students, engaged 6,800 parents and caregivers through our parent engagement initiatives, provided more than 5.3M student and adult hours of programming and partnered with more than 100 organizations to provide high-quality programming.
Thriving Minds Summer Camp
- Thriving Minds Summer Camp launched in 2010 and has since provided programming at up to 17 elementary and 9 middle school campuses, served more than 23,00 students (K-8) and delivered close to 4M hours of programming.
- Thriving Minds Summer Camp programming was offered to 8,500 students at 60 partner sites in 2014 and 2015.
- Students participating in Thriving Minds Summer Camp enter the fall with a meaningful advantage in math.*
- Among students who attend at least 22 days or receive 39 hours of reading instruction also enter school in the fall with a meaningful advantage in reading.*
- 71% of parents say that if this summer camp program were not available, their child would be at home or at a neighbor’s house (Parent/Caregiver Survey, 2014).
- 52% of students assessed showed positive gains in Relationship Skills competency (Devereux Student Strengths Assessment, 2014).
Ready for Fall? Near-Term Effects of Voluntary Summer Learning Programs on Low-Income Students’ Learning Opportunities and Outcomes, 2014, The Rand Corporation.