Launched in 2016 by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the AmeriCorps Affiliate program provides youth opportunities to gain workplace skills, serve their community and be part of a national service movement.
This summer, Big Thought will engage 50 youth (high school juniors/seniors OR recent graduates) in an unpaid internship as AmeriCorps Affiliate members to provide direct service to under-resourced communities throughout the City of Dallas in conjunction with the Dallas City of Learning initiative.
Dallas City of Learning is a citywide initiative to ensure all students have access to high-quality summer learning programs that stem summer learning loss.
AmeriCorps Affiliate members will be placed with Big Thought partner organizations in teams of 3 or more depending on host organization specifications and provide 100 hours of direct service to support educational or environmental summer learning and/or service-learning programs. Placement with host sites is based on student background and interest, as well as host site capabilities.
AmeriCorps members who successfully complete the 100 hours term of service are eligible to receive a $325 education award as a post-service benefit. The education award may be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including many technical schools) as well as to repay qualified student loans. AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for the President’s Volunteer Service Award. Members will also:
- Participate in a service-learning project to benefit the community.
- Explore Dallas City of Learning platform and earn credentials, if applicable.
- Utilize Dallas City of Learning digital learning platform to connect youth served by partner organizations with digital and face-to-face activities, if applicable.
The program takes place from June 19 – August 4, 2017. AmeriCorps members are expected to serve 15 – 20 hours a week with host site (with schedule determined by host site), and participate in professional development activities coordinated by Big Thought.
Students interested in the program must submit application, obtain parental permission (if under 18) and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national or have permanent resident status.
- Enrolled as a high school junior or senior (or a recent high school graduate).
- Available to participate in the program from June 19 – August 4, 2017.
- Have consistent access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport)
- Selected members must provide/arrange daily transportation to and from all AmeriCorps Affiliate activities.
- Agree to a background check, if selected.
- Complete all necessary AmeriCorps enrollment forms, if selected.
- Participate in important program events: program orientation and kickoff (June 16), leadership development (June 30), service project (July 14), and closing celebration (August 4).