Facilitate learning at assigned site with the purpose of connecting students to enrichment activities. Provided programming and curriculum to be delivered may include Exploration Center Trunks, Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) activities, service learning experiences (SLANT), or other Big Thought content.
About Big Thought
Big Thought exists to ensure that all youth in marginalized communities are equipped to imagine and create their best lives and better world. For over three decades in Dallas, Big Thought has worked with local and national partners to bring tailored creative learning opportunities to elementary, middle, and high school students and set them on a path to success through programs geared to unlock their full potential. Our commitment to closing the opportunity gap is stronger than ever, with a strategic vision that includes youth voice.
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation and imagination to everything we do. Youth are paramount and we use a collaborative, all hands on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
Additionally, everyone at Big Thought is asked to do whatever is needed to support our initiatives and events. If you are flexible and thrive in a dynamic environment, Big Thought jobs provide interesting and challenging opportunities to make a difference.
Essential Job Duties
- Deliver high quality instruction to elementary students in alignment with Big Thought’s instructional framework of Six Dimensions of Quality and Social Emotional Learning
- Provide clear age-appropriate instruction to participants for active engagement
- Engage in positive interaction with all children, treating them with dignity and respect
- Consult and collaborate with educational coaches on aesthetic education practices as requested
- Perform administrative responsibilities, such as submission of assessments and teaching schedules
- Follow assigned instructions and curriculum set by Big Thought staff
- Work in partnership with the Site Coordinator and/or Program Manager; alert Site Coordinator of any challenges, including difficulty with student behavior, lateness, absence, or problems with classroom space that are a safety concern for children
- Communicate effectively with children, parents, and supervisors
- Submit invoices for payment in a timely and accurate manner, according to Big Thought’s payment process
- Perform other duties as needed
General Job Duties and Expectations
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to working with young people, especially those in diverse communities and neighborhoods across the DFW area
- Utilize basic classroom management skills
- Manage supplies and materials provided, including placing orders as requested
- Big Thought believes that modeling is a useful tool to teach youth new skills in social situations. All individuals working with our organization are expected to observe all rules, regulations, policies, uniform and dress code of Big Thought and Dallas ISD. There may be occasion to also adhere to specific directives from site management, especially as they pertain to the safety and security of students
- Follow program attendance policy as assigned by the Program Manager
- Attend team meetings for input on best practices
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the Program Manager
- Attend and participate in related professional development opportunities offered by Big Thought
- Demonstrate commitment to implementing Big Thought instructional strategies
- Some college coursework preferred
- Minimum one year experience in a classroom or other relevant setting such as daycare or summer camp
- Eagerness to learn and incorporate Big Thought’s philosophy and approach to education
- Display patience and empathy for others as well as self
- Flexibility to work a varying schedule. Hours of work may require after school hours as well as occasional evenings and weekends. Summer hours may vary by program/site
- Willingness to travel to Big Thought sites in the DFW area
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Possess a strong attention to detail and a high degree of organization
- Consent to a background check via fingerprinting and FC Background, which is required based on DISD policy. Clearances are conducted and renewed annually
- Ability to provide two professional references
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees of Big Thought are expected, as required in their specific job functions, to participate in activities, meetings, and committees; to interact and work cooperatively in order to accomplish various goals; to represent one’s self and Big Thought in a positive, professional manner; and to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
Employees are expected to maintain current working knowledge of policies, procedures and guidelines necessary to answer work-related questions and to provide assistance in a timely and courteous manner. Employees are also expected to perform other duties as may be assigned by their supervisor and to contribute to the team efforts of the department and to assist the organization in achieving its strategic goals.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.