Professional Learning Manager
About The Role
Support the Director of Professional Learning in the execution of the professional learning strategy and goals and ultimately supervising a team of professional learning specialists.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out of school time systems, summer learning and juvenile justice intervention. Now, we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate:
In this role, the ideal candidate should be passionate about helping people learn and grow. No doubt being a friendly, self-motivated team player with strong interpersonal and excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential. Equally important is being a critical thinker and able to solve problems and resolve issues quickly. Experience to design relevant training materials and familiarity with multiple e-learning platforms and managing budgets? GREAT – we’d like to meet you.
What the Role entails:
- Oversee Professional Learning training, workshops, seminars, and conference implementation with internal and external partners including the training logistics
- Develop, implement and maintain process and procedures for professional learning teams on-boarding, BT training and professional development opportunities
- Research, maintain and recommend professional development training for the professional division’s continual staff development
- Ability to create content for professional development in school time (principals, administrators, teachers and staff as well as out of school time (supervisors, site leads and front-line staff)
- Lead the ongoing documentation, cataloging and maintenance of training materials in both digital (LMS and Google Drive) and hard copy
- Research and promote current trends in professional learning
- Facilitate professional development session using varied learning platforms; maintain and update as needed Facilitator Guidebook
- Partner with youth advisory council to develop best practices of facilitating adult to youth relationships, interactions and learnings
- Demonstrate competency in inclusion and equity
- High degree of EQ (emotional intelligence)
- Demonstrate the ability to learn and apply the Big Thought’s 6DQ-R (measure and assess high quality instruction through observation)
- Capable of disaggregating data from observations to inform future professional development needs for internal clients, external clients, and partners
- Knowledge of and application of BT Coaching Cycle Strategy
- Ability to manage staff performance evaluations/assessment
- Establish and sustain internal partner/team relationships
- Bachelor’s degree a plus
- Minimum 2 years related experience (in non-profit environment a plus)
- Previous supervisory experience ideal
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Google Suite, Zoom, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (oral & written)
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
Big Thought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.