About The Role
Middle or High School Teachers will utilize teaching methods in which students learn core subjects and life skills by actively engaging in real-world and personally meaningful projects, such as, but not limited to, Project Based Learning (PBL).
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens, and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out-of-school time systems, summer learning, and juvenile justice intervention. Now, were one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all-hands-on-deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is curious, a devoted life learner with super skills in motivating and inspiring students to investigate and respond to authentic, engaging, and complex questions, problems, or challenges in an organized and carefully time managed process. He/She is analytical, patient and resourceful, service oriented and a collaborative team member.
What the Role entails:
- Use researched-based best practices to provide creative teaching to reach the whole student: academically, socially and physically.
- Prepare scope and sequence for courses and deliver lesson plans that include learning goals and objectives derived from curriculum standards as defined by the State and Big Thought.
- Use differentiated instruction and student-centered teaching methods that meet the needs of individual students in an innovative learning environment.
- Implement effective strategies, activities, and techniques for improving student achievement and promoting positive social behaviors.
- Prepare, administer, correct, and record pre-assessments, ongoing assessments, and summative assessments of individual learning.
- Provide guidance to students and make social and academic adjustments as needed.
- Utilize necessary forms of communications to keep students, parents, administration informed of student achievement, behavior and social development.
- Attend and participate in scheduled in-service, committees, staff, and parent meetings.
- Establish clear expectations for rules of conduct.
- Maintain regular and accurate attendance and grade records.
- Exercise high degree of EQ (emotional intelligence).
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
- Major in Education a plus.
- Minimum five years classroom teaching experience
- Master’s degree with three years direct classroom instruction a plus
- Post Bachelor’s in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Leadership, Design Thinking, Project Management or a related field with Certificate in Education
- Experience alternative classroom structure a plus
- Valid Texas Teaching Secondary Certification required
- Grades 6-12 ideal/preferred
- Grades 1-8 or 6-8 considered per organizational need
- Grades 8-12 or 9-12 considered per organizational need
- Specific training and experience in Design Thinking, Problem Based Learning, Restorative Justice, Peer Mediation, etc. a plus
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS OF THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission-driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
Big Thought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.