About The Role
The Project Assistant is responsible for supporting the Chief Programs and Learning Systems Officer and the Programs department by ensuring that our programs, processes, and resources are correctly documented for future use. This individual will support the development of project plans and logistics behind Big Thought programming.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens, and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out-of-school time systems, summer learning, and juvenile justice intervention. Now, were one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all-hands-on-deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate
Takes initiative to identify needs and solve problems. Our ideal candidate is a strong writer and can convene small or larger group conversations and meetings to align priorities. Some nonprofit experience or community-based organization work is ideal. This person needs the skill set to distill information and make strong recommendations or proposals to influence decisions.
What the Role entails:
- Participate in and document weekly meetings with the cross-functional project management support and lead follow-up needs.
- Direct administrative support to Chief Programs and Learning Systems Officer.
- Coordinate and share out inter-departmental resources to meet specific program/project needs.
- Directly support data management and data entry needs for program accountability efforts.
- Perform project-related research activities as needed.
- Assist with additional project-related tasks as needed.
- Assist in day-of management for special Big Thought programming events.
- Act as Big Thought representative for transportation vendors to streamline internal and external transportation requests, and book transportation for field trips.
- Document program and project information in a way that is easily accessible and preserves organizational memory.
- Analyze project budgets to ensure compliance with donor requirements and assist with departmental expenses and reporting needs in connection with financial procedures.
- Manage the Big Thought company outlook calendar and maintain knowledge of multi-department events.
- Attend and help support program events.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus
- Two years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in assisting in project management initiatives or administrative work; strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with professional colleagues
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands-on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at a computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in an environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS OF THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission-driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
Big Thought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.