Project Manager/NonProfit Programs
About The Role
The Project Manager is responsible for maintaining a comprehensive view of the Programs and Learning Systems Department, facilitating the exchange of information, developing project plans, and communicating and managing the plans to desired implementation results.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens, and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out-of-school time systems, summer learning, and juvenile justice intervention. Now, we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design, and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate:
Personable, professional, and cool under pressure, our ideal Project Manager is also a self-motivated innovative thinker and a team player with a proven history of successful interaction with leaders at every level. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) are paramount. Our Project Manager must have a keen ability to effectively interpret policy, procedures, and data, apply principles of logic or scientific thinking to define problems and draw valid conclusions and be well organized to meet demands and deadlines.
What the Role entails:
- Lead and/or serve cross-functional teams that develop detailed work plans to ensure project success, including with executive leadership members
- Act as inter-departmental liaison to address modifications to project scope, schedule, or budget and communicate changes
- Analyze project budgets and schedules and make recommendations to ensure compliance with public and private donor requirements
- Conduct regular status and budget reports to Chief Programs and Learning Systems Officer
- Ensure communication of work plans is appropriately disseminated
- Create and utilize tools to measure program progress against established benchmarks
- Ensure accuracy and quality of program financial information in partnership with appropriate departments
- Archive project and program information in a way that is easily accessible and preserves organizational memory
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Three – five years’ experience in project management and nonprofit administration role
- Working knowledge of Microsoft and Salesforce applications
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands-on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at a computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in an environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS OF THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission-driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.