Sr. Programs Director
About The Role
Responsible for the strategic development of Big Thought’s direct education and artistic programming as well as coaching and developing staff.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens, and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out-of-school time systems, summer learning, and juvenile justice intervention. Now, we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design, and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate
Our ideal Sr. Director of Programs candidate is a visionary who sees beyond chaos and impossibilities, to visualize what does not yet exist and the fortitude to design the roadmap to a reality that is highly functional. Superb management and leadership skills are foundational to their ability to multitask, problem solve and minimizing conflict. Their exceptional interpersonal skills afford positive interactions with all levels of stakeholders, be it students and their families, executives, internal or external clients.
What the Role entails:
- Develop strategic framework for programming
- Assess and determine programming structure for effectiveness
- Continuously communicate with Chief of Programs
- Develop effective processes and procedures for Programs
- Build and manage departmental budgets, focus on earned income goals
- Manage annual budget process
- Develop forecasting model for programs
- Lead, coach and develop staff to high performance
- Educate organization on Program objectives/goals
- Approves and disburses expenditures as appropriate
- Imbed inclusion and equity initiatives within the Finance Department
- Develop Customer Service centered processes & procedures
- Assess and build Program capacity
- Develop and sustain positive relationships with both internal/external stakeholders
- Infuse inclusion and equity in all facets of programs
- As appropriate represent Chief of Programs externally
- High degree of emotional intelligence (EQ)
- Bachelor’s degree a plus
- 5-7 years’ experience in a lead programming role
- Non-profit experience a must
- Track record of supervising/leading others
- Excellent communication skills
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands-on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at a computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in an environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS OF THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission-driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.