About The Role
Accountable for various administrative and technical functions that support all tasks in the People and Culture Department.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens, and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out-of-school time systems, summer learning, and juvenile justice intervention. Now, we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design, and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
About the Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate has a passion for people and recognizes the importance of organizational equality in a diverse culture. As a member of the People Department, recognizing that integrity, impartiality, and a premier level of workplace professionalism are the prerequisites to succeed. This person has the ability to convey information and elevate concerns when needed.
What the Role entails:
- Willing to learn and retain the department’s utilized practices and demonstrate evidence of performing work independently.
- Respond to critical items in a timely manner.
- Potentially assist with other HR processes such as benefits administration, onboarding, recruiting, etc.
- Maintain the highest standards of confidentiality of all personnel actions, files, and information for BT internal and external clients.
- Ability to build cross departmental relationships with employees at all company levels.
- Must organize and prioritize multiple complex tasks efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Continuous assessment to improve HR processes and procedures
- Backup to the HR Specialist when needed.
- Support other assigned functions.
- Associates degree required
- At least two years related experience required.
- Understanding of HR functions and best practices preferred.
- Highly computer literate with capability in MS Office and related business and communication tools.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Function well in a high-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Agility combined with an attention to detail.
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands-on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at a computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in an environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS OF THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission-driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies and guidelines.