Booker T Washington Internships – Summer 2020
Eight-Week Paid Internship
Summer 2020 | 20 hours per week | Variable Schedule
Big Thought is an education impact non-profit based in Dallas, Texas. Focused on equipping youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world, Big Thought’s work is centered around creative learning, social and emotional well-being, and authentic youth voice. Through direct to youth programming, serving as a backbone agency for city-wide learning systems, and information sharing, Big Thought strives to close the opportunity gap for children and youth.
Big Thought’s Dallas City of Learning (DCOL) initiative brings together hundreds of partners to provide engaging summer programming designed to prevent summer learning loss for Dallas students. The Big Thought intern will actively support DCOL programs, including camps and events, with a variable schedule of 20 hours per week for eight weeks between June 1 and August 14, 2020 at a pay rate of $10/hour.
- Work with Big Thought staff to support summer learning programs and the students/families served.
- Collaborate with community partners in support of summer learning programs and initiatives.
- Assist staff with planning and implementation of DCOL “Turn Up!” events.
- Serve as a “Turn Up! Crew Member” to recruit youth to join DCOL.
- Distribute marketing materials, engage youth at events and encourage DCOL registration.
- Provide logistical support to partners and program participants.
- Maintain required program and reporting documentation on a timely basis.
- Help prepare for and clean up after events.
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidate must be 16 years old by June 1, 2020, a fulltime BTWHSPVA student due to return in the fall of 2020, and eligible to work in the United States during the summer of 2020. (No BTW Seniors are eligible.)
- A history of community service is preferred, especially working with children
- Past attendance and/or participation at area summer camps is preferred
- Candidates should be comfortable working with both children and adults
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong organizational and critical thinking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong creative problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus
This internship is funded through the generosity of the Arts Magnet Advisory Board.