Provide a safe, caring and enriching environment for groups of children participating in an in-school or after-school program. Assist with supervision and engagement of students in youth development and activities.
About Big Thought
Big Thought exists to ensure that all youth in marginalized communities are equipped to imagine and create their best lives and a better world. For over three decades in Dallas, Big Thought has worked with local and national partners to bring tailored creative learning opportunities to elementary, middle, and high school students and set them on a path to success through programs geared to unlock their full potential. Our commitment to closing the opportunity gap is stronger than ever, with a strategic vision that includes youth voice.
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation and imagination to everything we do. Youth are paramount and we use a collaborative, all hands on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
Additionally, everyone at Big Thought is asked to do whatever is needed to support our initiatives and events. If you are flexible and thrive in a dynamic environment, Big Thought jobs provide interesting and challenging opportunities to make a difference.
Essential Job Duties
- Responsible for assisting the Site Coordinator or other program personnel with the supervision, safety and grouping of children at all times, including arrival and departure procedures and taking attendance.
- Keep a consistent headcount of all children present and immediately communicate any changes with all other staff.
- Assist the Site Coordinator and/or Instructors with planning and activities.
- Periodically develop and initiate instruction of creative activities and games.
- Communicate effectively with children, parents, staff, and supervisors.
- Help prepare for and clean up after activities.
- Inspect and maintain facilities and equipment for safety purposes prior to each activity.
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of culminating events, performances, and other program-related events, including holiday celebrations.
- Demonstrate consistent positive interaction with all children, treating them with dignity and respect.
- Articulate clear expectations and hold children accountable for abiding by them.
- Help children develop a positive self-esteem and sense of self-worth.
- Model and utilize teachable moments to reinforce appropriate social skills.
General Job Duties and Expectations
- Follow all rules, regulations, and policies of Big Thought, Dallas ISD, Garland ISD, and/or Uplift, as well as directives from superiors.
- Follow program attendance policy as assigned by Site Coordinator.
- Comply with Big Thought/Thriving Minds After School uniform and dress code.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the Site Coordinator.
- Attend and participate in professional development opportunities, specifically regarding creative learning, offered by Big Thought.
- Demonstrate commitment to implementing Big Thought instructional strategies.
- High school diploma required. College coursework in recreation, child development, or a related field is preferred.
- Experience working with children is required.
- Experience in the area of creative arts instruction is preferred.
- Positive rapport with co-workers.
- Sincere interest in working with children.
- Ability to safely and successfully manage elementary and/or middle school age children.
- Ability to organize and lead basic art, music, drama and recreation, including managing supplies.
- Flexibility to work a varying schedule.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
- Ability to read/respond to e-mails and text messages in a timely manner.
- Basic first aid skills (training will be provided by Big Thought).
Part-time, 20-25 hours per week. Time of work may vary by season and will coincide with the hours of program operation.
The Site Guide will have regularly scheduled evaluations with the Site Coordinator.
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees of Big Thought are expected, as required in their specific job functions, to participate in activities, meetings, and committees; to interact and work cooperatively in order to accomplish various goals; to represent one’s self and Big Thought in a positive, professional manner; and to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
Employees are expected to maintain current working knowledge of policies, procedures and guidelines necessary to answer work-related questions and to provide assistance in a timely and courteous manner. Employees are also expected to perform other duties as may be assigned by their supervisor and to contribute to the team efforts of the department and to assist the organization in achieving its strategic goals.