AmeriCorps Project Manager
Location: Big Thought Headquarters*
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer/Interim Chief People & Equity Officer
Division: Big Thought Headquarters
Position Type: Temporary Full time/Exempt**
*As of date of posting, much of Big Thought business currently conducted virtually due to the coronavirus pandemic.
**Funding timeline September 1, 2020 – August 31, 2021; option to transition to Permanent Full Time as funding permits
The AmeriCorps Program Manager will lead a cross-departmental planning process that will provide Big Thought (BT) with the opportunity to thoughtfully and strategically organize its management structure to support a potential future AmeriCorps team. The position is responsible for the development of appropriate internal controls which will prepare the BT organization to effectively implement AmeriCorps-specific policies and procedures. These will include, but are not limited to, AmeriCorps member recruitment, enrollment, data collection systems, member supervision, cost reimbursement, and grant management and compliance.
About Big Thought:
For 30 years, Big Thought has worked with local and national partners to bring tailored creative learning opportunities to kids in Dallas neighborhoods with the greatest need. Big Thought focuses on programs that work with elementary, middle, and high school students to unlock their full potential and set them on a path to success.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
Below you will find the primary job duties for this position. In addition to these duties, everyone at Big Thought is asked to do whatever is needed to support our initiatives and events. If you are flexible and thrive in a dynamic environment, Big Thought jobs provide interesting and challenging opportunities to make a difference.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lead and facilitate cross-departmental planning in the design and potential implementation of an AmeriCorps Program to support Big Thought Out-of-School Time Expansion.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive project plan that outlines activities, key deliverables, and detailed timeline to support the development of all required components of the AmeriCorps Program plan. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing member positions and writing job descriptions in collaboration with HR and Program Department team members;
- Supporting the selection of new and expanded service sites with Program Department personnel;
- Creating deployment strategies for members at new and expanded service sites;
- Establishing the management/supervision chain of command for AmeriCorps members;
- Planning professional development and training for new and existing staff;
- Developing protocols and procedures for member evaluations, feedback and coaching;
- Devising communications and recognition campaigns for members in partnership with Big Thought’s Communications Department;
- Building and testing reporting channels that adequately meet AmeriCorps and Onestar requirements.
- Provide timely information, time-tracking and grant progress reports as required by the AmeriCorps grant, and maintain regular communications with Big Thought’s designated AmeriCorps Program Managers.
- Coordinate with BTI and Development Department to prepare and submit AmeriCorps Grant for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Align all policies and procedures related to AmeriCorps grant with Big Thought policies and procedures. Identify areas where updated policies and/or procedures need to be developed.
- Track and manage AmeriCorps grant budget.
- Attend all required AmeriCorps trainings and meetings.
- Manage contract staff and/or interns, as applicable.
General Job Duties and Expectations:
- Maintain clear and accurate operations documents/procedures for reference purposes and grant compliance.
- Take ongoing initiative in developing a deep understanding of Big Thought’s purpose, programs and people.
- Develop professional skills and knowledge appropriate to job assignments.
- Collaborate with other departments on related duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal skills (listening and relationship-building abilities, along with strong verbal, written, presentation skills), with ability to effectively interact with individuals of all levels and backgrounds.
- Excellent initiative, strong project management and strategic planning skills and attention to detail while managing multiple priorities.
- Familiarity with creative facilitation and management tools as well as design thinking.
- Knowledge of education and/or child development.
- Independent self-starter who embraces a collaborative work environment; grit, agility, creativity and open-mindedness.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum two/three years’ relevant experience required
- Previous AmeriCorps experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Project management experience in a collaborative environment preferred.
- Nonprofit work experience preferred.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) considered a plus.
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of this job successfully, you may regularly be required to:
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
NOTE: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Employees of Big Thought are expected, as required in their specific job functions, to participate in activities, meetings, and committees; to interact and work cooperatively in order to accomplish various goals; to represent one’s self and Big Thought in a positive, professional manner; and to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
Employees are expected to maintain current working knowledge of policies, procedures and guidelines necessary to answer work-related questions and to provide assistance in a timely and courteous manner. Employees are also expected to perform other duties as may be assigned by their supervisor and to contribute to the team efforts of the department and to assist the organization in achieving its strategic goals.
Employees must abide by all laws, Big Thought policies, and guidelines.