Students get an in-depth, behind-the-scenes view of the airport
Who: Big Thought will be presenting the fourth annual Dallas City of Learning Turn Up! At Dallas Love Field, along with Dallas ISD, Frontiers of Flight Museum, Dallas Love Field and its Centennial Committee, and the city of Dallas.
Available for interviews: Kristina Dove, senior partner relations manager, Big Thought, can discuss Dallas City of Learning, a partnership of Big Thought, the city of Dallas and Dallas ISD to ensure that all students have access to high-quality summer learning programs that stem summer learning loss. Mark Duebner, director of Aviation, Dallas Love Field, and Cheryl Sutterfield-Jones, president and CEO, Frontiers of Flight Museum will be on hand as well.
When: Saturday, June 24, 2017. Event runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; best opportunities for interviewing and capturing B roll footage should be from about 10:30 a.m. through 1:30 p.m. Approximately 1,400 attendees are expected at this year’s event.
Where: Frontiers of Flight Museum, located at 6911 Lemon Ave., Dallas.
What: The Turn Up! event at the Frontiers of Flight Museum will feature exhibits, terminal tours, food and lots of fun for kids, teens and their families, including:
- Free admission to the Frontier of Flight Museum
- Touring the Love Field terminal
- Learning about the teams who keep the airport running
- Discovering airport equipment and other machines used in keeping the airport humming
- Sampling food from the concessionaires who serve airport passengers
- Getting a hands-on look at the Airport Rescue Fire-Fighter Truck and large snow-removal equipment
- Exploring the Frontier Flyer airplane
- Viewing a living history performance of prominent pioneers in aviation
- Building foam gliders and experimenting with wind tubes
- Also present at the museum will be Big Thought’s Mobile Tech XPerience, a retrofitted RV featuring STEM-related educational activities such as 3D modeling and printing, Lego robot design and construction, programming in Scratch, and other hands-on tech learning for kids to enjoy.
- The event also will feature musical entertainment onstage, food trucks, exhibitors, on-site registration for Dallas City of Learning workshops and learning sessions, and giveaways.
Details: The Turn Up! at Dallas Love Field is one of the most-anticipated and attended Dallas City of Learning events of the year. It exposes students to the inner workings of a major airport and introduces a wide variety of aviation career opportunities.
For 30 years, education non-profit Big Thought has worked with local and national partners to bring tailored, creative learning opportunities to kids in Dallas neighborhoods with the greatest need. Students in these high-need neighborhoods do not have equitable access to crucial out-of-school education and social and emotional learning time, which creates an opportunity gap. Dallas City of Learning is a citywide initiative to ensure all students have access to high-quality summer learning programs to stem summer learning loss. Big Thought works with a powerful network of more than 330 neighborhood, community and city partners to connect students to free or low-cost local resources and opportunities for in-school, out-of-school and summer learning.
Linda Graham, The Power Group
214-498-6313 or [email protected]