Immediate Past Board Chair
Danica Mathes is a branding and creativity partner at Bell Nunnally , and her practice focuses on intellectual property, entertainment, advertising and new media law. She helps clients protect and profit from their brands, products, services and talents. Some of the most well-known national and international brands and biggest names in entertainment have trusted Danica with their creative assets and brand reputation.
Selected by attorney peers and U.S. News for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007, Danica counsels individuals, entrepreneurs and Fortune 100 companies in a wide range of industries with respect to brand protection, content licensing, branded entertainment initiatives, sponsorship and endorsement deals, broadcast and merchandising rights, privacy compliance, sweepstakes and contests, internet, e-commerce, software, and other social and interactive media matters and related issues. She also authors I‘M WITH THE B(R)AND – The Branding & Creativity Law Blog.
Danica is adept at handling traditional and emerging intellectual property, advertising and new media matters, including:
- Assisting in the development, acquisition, use prosecution, protection, registration, clearance, escrow, licensing and sale of proprietary products and services, such as copyrights, trademarks, software, sound and video recording, brand management, and ancillary rights such as those relating to endorsements, sponsorships, promotional articles, clothing and products.
- Managing United States and international intellectual property portfolios, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, domain names, licenses and agreements.
- Counseling and advising clients regarding internet and e-commerce ventures, technology transactions, software development, website development, privacy issues and digital content acquisition and licensing.
- Analyzing advertising and trade issues, including media, advertising and marketing agreements, trade regulation compliance, telemarketing, fax and email spam law compliance, sweepstakes, contests and other promotions, and branded entertainment initiatives.
Danica also represents and counsels clients in various arenas of the entertainment industry, including music (established and developing recording artists and producers, musicians, managers, record labels and publishers), film (production companies, producers, directors, actors and screenwriters), television, radio, theatre, visual arts, literary publishing (authors, publishers and agents), movie theatres, fashion, cosmetics, toys, food, beverage, restaurants, retailers, amateur and professional athletics (golfers, football, basketball and baseball players, boxers, U.S. Olympians, coaches, league franchises, broadcasters, sponsors and promoters), mobile app and game developers, and traditional and interactive media.
- J.D., Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, 2001
- B.A., DePauw University, 1998
- The Missouri Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2001
- State Bar of Texas
- Advertising and New Media
- Agribusiness, Beverage and Food
- Entertainment, Media and Sports
- Software, Technology and Telecommunications