Instructor | MON-FRI from 2-6pm
About the Role:
Teach in different aspects of Big Thought’s Out of School Time (OST) student programs in after school and/or summer. Some Instructors may facilitate Professional Development workshops and other special events.
About Big Thought
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, inclusion/equity lens and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out of school time systems, summer learning and juvenile justice intervention. Now, we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). We take direct-to-youth programs and resources to communities with the greatest needs and share our evidence-based best practices with other nonprofits and organizations through a suite of consultation services including professional development, curriculum design and technical assistance.
#Big Thought Way:
Big Thought brings relentless optimism, innovation, and imagination to everything we do. Our kids come first, and we use a collaborative, all hands-on deck approach to ensure that they are served well.
about the ideal candidate:
Demonstrates a strong commitment to working with young people, especially those in diverse communities and neighborhoods across the DFW area. Highly skilled utilization of basic classroom management skills.
what the role entails:
- Deliver high quality direct instruction to students in Pre-K through grade 12 in alignment with Big Thought’s instructional framework of Six Dimensions of Quality, Social Emotional Learning, and project-based learning
- Consult and collaborate with educational coaches on aesthetic of Big Thought teaching practices as requested
- Perform administrative responsibilities, such as submission of written lesson plans, assessments, and teaching schedules
- Plan and implement programs in collaboration with Big Thought staff
- Work in partnership with the Site Coordinator and/or Program Manager
- Submit invoices for payment in a timely and accurate manner, according to Big Thought’s payment process
- Perform other duties as needed
- Minimum two years’ experience teaching a discipline in a classroom setting.
- Associate or other coursework a plus.
- Strong oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to work a varying schedule. Hours of work may require after-school hours.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
- Reliable transportation
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS THE ISSUE AT
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
Big Thought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
NOTE: This posting is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or
designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice