The value of what happens between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM during the school year and throughout the summer months can have a profoundly positive impact on our children’s lives. Thriving Minds programs give children the opportunity to excel in an environment that encourages exploration and creative expression. The Thriving Minds program provides inspiring and enriching activities that kids can’t get elsewhere.
A Proven Model
Big Thought has been operating TMAS since 2009, enrolling more than 25,000 students, engaging the participation of more than 7,000 parents and caregivers, providing more than 5.5 million student and adult hours of programming, and partnering with more than 100 organizations to offer high-quality learning experiences.
How it Works
Creativity through breadth of experiences
- TMAS builds students’ creativity by guided learning using a broad range of resources and manipulatives
- Age-appropriate STEM, Performance/Visual Art, Project-based Learning experiences boost student engagement and critical thinking
Specially Trained Team – A relationship-based approach
- TMAS staff have been highly curated and trained to facilitate relationship-based learning environments leveraging best-practice instructional and relational methodology. Students don’t just get an after-school teacher; they get a trained enrichment mentor.
- Campus team selected for best fit for your campus
Embedded social and emotional skills
Students learn to work in teams, communicate, employ empathy, and a many other social skills that are valuable to their own well-being and are critical
to building complex human relationships.
Homework and academic support
TMAS staff partner with campus faculty to help students complete homework assignments and align creative learning experiences to in-school curriculum
Our Big Impact
Thriving Minds After-School
In the 2017-2018 academic year, Thriving Minds reached 1,491 students with 393,314 cumulative student learning hours.
Through Thriving Minds,
- 48% of students improve their math grades from fall to spring semester*
- 49% of students improve their reading grades from fall to spring semester*
- 87% of students demonstrate teacher-reported improvements in student behavior*
- 46% of students show positive gains on overall social and emotional learning**
* 21st Century Creative Learning Center External Evaluation, Cycle 5, 6 & 7 (2009-2016)
** 2+ point increase on Deveraux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) pre/post; magnitude of Tscore differences based on Cohen’s d-ratio